Sunday, November 25, 2012

Turkey Day 5k

I started Thanksgiving by running a 5k with one of my best friends! We both started running around the same time but the only time we seem to actually be able to get together for a run is during a 5k (hopefully a 10k in January). This was our third race together and we rocked it!!! We both had our best time ever for a 5k and we helped push each other through the cold and the early morning time.

The first mile I could not feel my face or my hands. Finally after 1.5 miles I started to warm up. It was great to know that I still had hands, I wasn't sure they would make it through the morning. During the race, I picked a lady out of the crowd that I wouldn't let get out of my sight. She ran slightly faster than the pace I would have chosen to run on my own. Around mile 2, she stopped running and began walking. I started to get sad that she wasn't going to help push me for the rest of the race. I almost yelled encouraging words at her as we ran by her but there were so many people starting to walk that singling her out might of made me look like a creeper.  The last half mile we were running directly at the sun, I really wish I would have brought sunglasses. All you could see was a bright light and what looked like hundreds of smokers since the air was so cold. Finally we saw the end and I was able to sprint to the end. Note to readers: my sprint is probably as fast as other people's normal pace. We felt great at the end of the race.

Our next race will probably be The Hot Chocolate Run the end of December. Then in January we are doing our first 10k together. My BFF has done four half marathons but she has never done a 10k so I am excited that we will both get to do our first 10k's together!
How do you and your BFF stay fit together? 

No comments:

Post a Comment