Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Color Run Recap and race tips!

I ran the happiest 5k on the planet, The Color Run. This wasn't the first time that I ran The Color Run but this time it was even better than the first time! I met up with a few women from my Mom's Run This Town chapter. We were wearing white and ready to run.


We lined up at 9am and waited for our turn to start. Finally at 9:10 the DJ who was entertaining us while we waited said we could start. For those of you who aren't familiar with The Color Run let me explain it, it is a 3.1 mile race where, at evenly spaced places in the race, they throw powder color on you. It is a blast! The first color we got to play in was pink. I put my arms up and yelled more color at the wonderful volunteers. After running a little bit more we came to the next color. Orange was splashed all over us!  I'm glad I was wearing my sunglasses because they got me pretty good. This year they did a lot better job on spacing out the runners so we weren't bottle necking at all the color stations.


After we ran a little bit more we hit the turn around point for the out and back course. Soon after we turned around one of the ladies I was running with informed us that if she runs the whole 5k it will be the furtherest she has ever ran. Well you can't hear that from someone and even think about walking! So we ran! Next we hit yellow. I was still loving life and ready for more.


The last station on the tour of color was blue. In my opinion, blue is the best color at The Color Run. It is so vibrant and covers your clothes and face so nicely.  After we got smurfed we picked up the pace for the rest of race. We finished with big smiles and one proud lady who ran her first 5k!

As soon as I crossed the finish line, I dashed to the start line to meet my husband and kids. I gave him a quick kiss and told him good luck and watched him start his first 5k while my kids and I cheered from the sidelines.

After my husband finished, we went to the stage for the color throw!


We were the happiest, most colorful family on the planet!!


I love The Color Run and plan to do it next year when it makes it way back!


Tips for running a color run:
-Wear sunglasses (nobody wants colored powder in your eye)
-Take pictures (before and after of course)
-Wrap your camera or phone in cling wrap to protect it from color. Don't unwrap it until you are in a clean place (ie home or the car)
-Hang out at the race after you run, you don't want to miss the color throw. 
-Run with friends - this race would not be as much fun alone! 
-Have fun!!

Have you ran The Color Run? Did it make you happy? 

3 comments:

  1. I am totally doing this next year! This year I waited too long and the registration was just too high. I was seriously going to ask how you used your camera lol. Is there any way you can "preserve" the color on the shirt? I think it would be really cool to have that color for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can spray the shirt with vinegar (put it in a spray bottle) then iron it. But from what I understand that won't make it last through a washing. So I believe the answer is that you can't "preserve" it forever.

      Delete
  2. I had lots of fun at the Color Run this year :)
    Thanks for inspiring me to start running!

    ReplyDelete