Monday, September 2, 2013

Keeping the spark alive!

Let's talk about running! I love running, it's fun, rewarding and a great way to get healthy. However I am one of those people that needs a goal to train and push myself for. I recently did three half marathons in 84 days. My first half was a challenging uphill course. My second half was flat and fast. My third was just to say I did three in under 90 days. After that I wasn't sure what to train for.
The next half marathon in the area was October. I toyed with the idea of training for a full but procrastinated and didn't increase my distance so that flew out the window. In the whole month of August I didn't run any distance over 6 miles! 


I have a 10k at the end of this month. Normally not a challenging distance but with me being a slacker and it being a hilly course I realize it is time to get my butt in gear.  I would also love to PR on this race so I can possibly move up a corral placement at the Tinker Bell Half Marathon. It is a Wine Run so I get to celebrate my PR with Wine after the run. I can not wait! 


Somehow, over the last month me and distance running drifted apart. I am going to rekindle my love with distance. We are going to start off slow with a date (aka short run) and add a nice beverage if I want to make the run extra special (aka watermelon Nuun) then when we start to spend a little more time together I will bring a nice meal (aka a mint chocolate gu, maybe chomps). I'm kind of a romantic like that. I know the spark is there because I feel it on every run, I just need to work on keeping the fire going and not relying on little sparks to get me to the finish line on race day.


In September I am going to try to streak the whole month by running at least one mile every day. So far on day 2 of the month I am doing great. Feel free to join along and we can keep each other accountable and cheer each other on! 

Have you ever had a running rut? How do you keep the spark alive with your running? Are you going to streak with me? 

3 comments:

  1. I won't be doing a streak, but I am going to commit to running every one of my training runs. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I too did not run over 6 miles in August. But I just ran my first of three half marathons for the month of September. (its part of my marathon training BUT as you can see from August, its not going so well!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having a running rut! How do you stay inspired. I think your blog is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete