Thursday, March 21, 2013

Birthday 10k recap

Last weekend I ran my very first 10k, The Shamrock Shuffle! To make it even more special it happened to be on my birthday and it was a themed race! It was the perfect birthday event because of all the above plus running with good friends. I was all dressed up in green! Green sparkly skirt, green socks, green headband, you get the idea. I would have loved to run in a TeamSparkle skirt but due to slacking and not ordering in time I was forced to make my own. I used this tutorial for the skirt. While the tutorial was great and easy to follow, my sewing machine did not want to cooperate so I think next time I will just order one instead of redoing the whole skirt twice!


The Shamrock Shuffle was located at the Ste. Chapelle Winery. I ran a 5k out at the Winery for the Idaho Wine Run back in September so I was able to anticipate some of how the course would go. However this course was slightly different (instead of turning right we went straight) but still very beautiful area. The course started off flat taking us out of the winery and onto the paved road. Once there, the course went up hill. When we reached the top of the hill we were overlooking part of the beautiful lake. The view of the lake didn't last long but the awesomeness of the view helped fuel me and push me forward.
 

 Mile 2 was flat and easy. However mile 3 was a little irritating with a bunch of loose gravel.  Mile 4 was similar to mile 2 since it was flat and easy. However I did get passed by a tractor which made it a little more memorable!

Mile 5 we hit another hill and powered through it. It was probably the toughest section of the race. Once we got over the hill then it was smooth running for the rest. I finished with a time of 1:09:37! That is my fastest time for that distance and given the fact that the course was kind of hilly I was super excited! It was a fantastic birthday and I can't wait until next year when I can run another race on my birthday!


What is your idea of a perfect birthday? 

2 comments:

  1. My idea of a perfect birthday is hanging out with that beautiful girl on the far right of the bottom photo ;)

    Seriously though, great job. SO proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute skirt! i love it. you look great!!

    ReplyDelete