Monday, June 24, 2013

See Jane Run Half Marathon Race Recap

Yesterday was my second half marathon and my first flat one. I knew that since my last half was up a mountain this one I should get a PR easily. I was right! I PR'd by 41 minutes!!! Super excited about that number.

Now back to all the exciting stuff about the race. The race started nice and early at 8am. I was running the half with a few of my sorority sisters and some fellow MRTT members. Given that we like racing and dressing alike we all wore sparkle skirts!


The race started right on time and we were off! The race started on the Boise Greenbelt and after about 7 miles it switched to sidewalks through a subdivision. The sidewalks were rather annoying since they were so windy. After 2 miles we were done with the subdivision and back on the Greenbelt (YAY!). There is so much more to look at on the Greenbelt then winding through a subdivision.

Very shortly after the mile 11 sign my leg decided to hate me. All of a sudden my left leg felt super heavy and numb. I had to walk immediately. I sent my running buddy ahead because I didn't know how long I would be walking. After a minute or so I started running again. My leg seemed to be better then it happened again. I started walking again. After about 30 seconds this wonderful woman came and gave me encouragement. She reminded me that we were close to the end and told me to run with her. She was exactly what I needed at that moment plus she even shared some water with me, a complete stranger. The last mile and a half flew by. Finally I see the 13 mile sign. I am thrilled and picked up my pace so I would finish strong then my leg went crazy again. I refused to walk the last .10 of a mile so I started a limping run to the finish line. I finished with the time of 2:33:52. Not the goal time of 2:30 that I was hoping but very happy with that time considering my leg went crazy.


After the race I enjoyed an awesome massage, champagne, chocolate and completely frozen chocolate coconut milk. I was really bummed that the chocolate coconut milk was frozen because I was really looking forward to chocolate milk after the race. I also had the opportunity to meet Sara from house bella. She is also a SJR Ambassador. This was her first half and she rocked it! I also had the pleasure of meeting Lori, Owner and CEO of See Jane Run. I wasn't able to find Tanya from Running in Boise, another SJR Ambassador, after the race but I did see her running far ahead of me at one point in the race. All the people who put on the race and the volunteers were great, very friendly and helpful!



Thank you to See Jane Run for a great race with some great friends! Can't wait to run for Champagne and chocolate again next year!


Did you run this weekend? Do you know what happened to my leg? 



10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the huge PR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great race! No idea what happened to your leg. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. I really want to run this one next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good time. Hopefully your leg is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leg is doing much better. We will see how it holds up this weekend when I do 12 miles.

      Delete
  4. I finished right around the same time you did. That is cray that we could have ran the whole race together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you running around mile 6-ish by that turn out section by Barber Park! You were going one way and I was going the other. I figured I would try to track you down at the end of the race but I couldn't find you. Some race maybe we will have a bloggy meetup!

      Delete