Monday, May 6, 2013

My new BFF and me

The other day I accompanied my friend on her very first 20 minute run. She started the the couch-to-5k program about 5 weeks ago and she had to do her first long run. Of course I jumped at the opportunity to join her on her big day.  The run started out like any normal run for me. I was getting in the zone, paying attention to my breathing and not keeping in mind that I was with a girl who was running for 20 minutes for the first time. About 10 minutes into the run, we talked about proper form and tried to find her a "power song" on my iphone. When we had 4 minutes left she commented that she didn't think she was going to make it so we ran through some sprinklers. At 2 minutes left, she decided that she had to finish because she didn't want to repeat that training run. At 1 minute left, she realized that she was going to make it. During our cool down walk after the run she was in disbelief. She couldn't believe she had just done that! I was proud of her but she was also proud of herself!

I remember that feeling, heck I still get that feeling, but I remember when doing the couch-to-5k program, every run made you feel like that! A year and a half later, you get proud after huge accomplishments (like 10k's, half marathons, etc.) but you don't always stop to pat yourself on the back after a normal short run. The last two months I have been dealing with an annoying IT band. It was very discouraging and any time I would try to go my normal speed or more than 2 miles it started giving me horrible pain and would cut my runs short. Today I met my new best friend, my foam roller.


I rock and rolled with it then went for a run. Not a super long one but one where I really pushed my legs for all they had. I sprinted up some small hills and went faster than I have maybe ever. No pain at all. Like I said it was a short run but boy did it feel good. It wasn't a huge accomplishment run but I was super proud and excited that my knee finally listened and didn't give me any trouble. I was on Cloud 9! I can not wait until tomorrow when I get to run again, hopefully pain free from now on.

In addition to my awesome new foam roller, I have been sporting an awesome headband from Running Happy.

They have a wide variety of colors and styles. They are also really comfortable. Typically "non-slip" headbands slide off my head. I can't tell you how many races I end up with my headband wrapped around my wrist. I have also had the pleasure of ripping off a headband and throwing it in the garbage because it was giving me a killer headache. My Running Happy headband felt great and they even added a hair clip to the band to ensure that it wasn't going any where while I was running. LOVE THAT!!

Honestly I love the headband! It's cute, comfortable and stays put. That get's two thumbs up in my book! 

Have you tried a foam roller? What is your favorite non-slip headband? 

This blog received no payment or other compensation for reviews of products or services.






5 comments:

  1. That is awesome you were able to do that with your friend. I did my first 5k in Nov 2011. This past year I convinced my mom to do the same 5k with me. It was her first 5k and it was al great being there for her and coaching and pushing her along.

    I have yet to try a foam roller. I need to quickly though. Ive been having bad knee pain myself. I have yet to find a good non-slip headband. I may have to try one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy a foam roller! I wished I would have done it long ago!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love my foam roller! I don't know how I ever ran at all before discovering this magical device.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is weird to think that only a couple weeks ago I was having trouble with running 20 minutes! Thank you so much for helping me push through!

    P.S. That headband is sooooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That headband is sooooooooooo cute!

    P.S. It's so weird that only a couple weeks ago I was having trouble running 20 minutes! Thanks for helping me stick with it!

    ReplyDelete